The 80-20 rule in action

Big 01

Swiss voters have rejected having universal Social Security.

The result was 77% of people against it. This is consistent with the “80-20” principle, which is a statistical constant, like bell curves, or the “rule of 72.”


In your garden, 20% of your plants produce 80% of the fruit.

In the workplace, 80% of the work is done by 20% of the employees (the rest are more or less slackers).

80% of a company’s profits come from 20% of its customers

80% of a company’s complaints come from 20% of its customers

80% of a company’s sales come from 20% of its products

In software engineering, 20 percent of the code has 80 percent of the errors.

In load testing, 80% of the traffic occurs during 20% of the time.

In your home or office, 20% of the carpet receives 80% of the wear.

In any large organization, 20% of the people are scumbags who ruin things for the other 80%.

In project management, the first 20% of effort put in on a project yields 80% of the project’s results.

In any written article, the most frequently used 20% of words account for 80% of the total verbiage.

In geography, 80% of the land is owned by 20% of population.

In health care, 20% of the patients use 80% of health care resources.

In daily life, people wear around 20% of their clothes 80% of the time.

Worldwide, the richest 20% of humans have 80% of the world’s income.

According to Microsoft, 80% of the errors and crashes in Windows are caused by 20% of the total possible bugs.

The 80-20 principle is real, it is everywhere, and it is a well-known factor in probability analysis.

Big 08In any country, 80% of the population are peasants who drown out the other 20%. That’s why we have class stratification. The peasants (80% of the population) simply cannot imagine living like rich people, without financial worry. They dream about winning the lottery, but in practice they are frightened by freedom and prosperity, and they rationalize their cowardice and hatred.

Rich elitists and their puppet politicians know this. They encourage this peasant-rationalization process, because it keeps the peasants in line. In Switzerland, for example, politicians told the peasants that universal social security would brings hoards of immigrants to Switzerland (even though benefits would only be given Swiss citizens). Politicians said it would be bad for society if the peasants got money for nothing (like rich people get).

All of the peasants agreed with this (i.e. 80% of the Swiss population agreed).

This is why we have poverty and inequality. It’s why the 99% are slaves of the 1%. It may not be what the peasants want, but it’s what they prefer. They reject prosperity. They hate each other. They are scared of freedom. And they rationalize this by spouting things like “Zimbabwe!” and “There’s no free lunch!” and “How will you pay for it?” (The Swiss government creates its spending money out of thin air, unlike governments that use the euro.)


Whenever there have been historical periods of less inequality, they were brought about by leaders who had vision, courage, and compassion. The peasants themselves are followers. They are cattle who drown out the humans.

Naturally the corporate media outlets are saluting the Swiss peasants for their “wisdom.” Rich people who own the media outlets want to maximize inequality, not reduce it. Free money is only for the rich. (So say the rich and their slaves alike.)

Occasionally there are exceptions to the 80-20 rule, but – like a bell curve – the numbers eventually come back in line. It’s only a question of time.

Bottom line:

[1] What makes you a peasant is not your material or financial condition, but your mental state.

[2] In any country, eighty percent of the people are peasants.

[3] This is why we have poverty and inequality. The peasants prefer it. They dream of leaving their dungeon, but they are terrified of actually doing it. And they rationalize their fear by mindlessly chanting things like “There’s no free lunch!”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s